Re: Changed list indentation behavior: how to revert?

From: Tom Gillespie
Subject: Re: Changed list indentation behavior: how to revert?
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 18:01:36 -0500

> > Ugh, I update my emacs package pretty infrequently and I usually have 30 or
> > more packages updating at a time -- I can't see wading through 30 NEWS
> > files searching for landmines...
> >

> Yes, this I think is a problem. Most of those packages probably only
> have minor changes and bug fixes. We really need some way to be able to
> sort or grade those packages based on whether they are minor or major
> upgrades. Some sort of metric which would let you gauge the amount of
> change and decide if checking the NEWS file would be advisable.

An aside.

This is one of the reasons that I generally oppose breaking up repositories
into smaller projects. Some users want more frequent updates to some
parts of a codebase, but they are usually outliers. The end result is that
splitting the repo pushes more and more work onto the users, most of
whom receive no benefit since they are not bleeding edgers, because
now it is up to them to determine compatibility, read the NEWS, etc.

Sometimes deeper coupling can actually help. For example in this
thread if Emacs and Org were more tightly coupled in their releases
then the changes to electric indent mode might not have gone through
at all, or might have been delayed until Org could coordinate the change
so that users only had to deal with it once.

Do we actually want Org and Emacs development to be more coupled?
Probably not, but I suspect there is a systematic bias on the part of
more frequent participants to want greater decoupling because they are
often engaged in the development process and thus have a skewed
perspective on what is important --- namely to make development easier.