Re: Changed list indentation behavior: how to revert?

From: Michal Politowski
Subject: Re: Changed list indentation behavior: how to revert?
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 08:48:24 +0100

On Mon, 16 Nov 2020 16:24:45 -0700, T.F. Torrey wrote:
[...]
> The proper fix for this is one of two choices:
>
> 1. If keeping electric-indent-mode on is really important, the easiest
>    way to restore intuitive behavior is to change the default of
>    org-adapt-indentation to nil.  Yes, this changes a longstanding
>    default, but it is necessitated because of the change of another
>    longstanding default: electric-indent-mode.  Before, anyone who
>    wanted text indented by default needed to specify that in their init
>    file, so this should not inconvenience anyone who wasn't
>    inconvenienced before.
>
> or
>
> 2. More involved would be to change the default behavior of Org's
>    electric indentation so that typing <RET> at the end of a heading
>    takes you back to column 0 by default.  In many contexts, the
>    indentation provided by org-auto-indent is useful, but not this
>    one.

Or maybe?
3. Pair the electric indentation + org-adapt-indentation with electric asterisk
(actually more of an electric space) so that "<RET>* " removes the indentation.

So this is similar to conditional option 2. I do not think I really understand
the benefits of option 2. as is. Wouldn't it be doing a lot of work to just
unconditionally undo the work of electric indentation and o-a-i without actually
turning them off?

Finally, given how few people seem to have benefitted from or even noticed
org-adapt-indentation, option 1. does seem reasonable to this casual user
(who has o-a-i turned off almost accidentally, via org-indent-mode).

--
Michał Politowski
Talking has been known to lead to communication if practiced carelessly.