Re: Clock tables and two ways to categorize tasks

From: Mikhail Skorzhisnkii
Subject: Re: Clock tables and two ways to categorize tasks
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 15:47:46 +0100

Hi Marcin,

I tried to solve this issue for myself. My first attempt to solve it was to understand which tags are interesting and then make a template with as many tables as there were interesting tag combinations. But then I faced another problem: sometimes I am using different set of tags and templates don't work as good as they could.

To mitigate that problem, I've tried different approach. I made a small package that generates me reports for past week or past month. It's working for me, but there are a lot of rough edges around it. Basically it collects headers with clocks, copies them to separate file, rearrange them and generate clock tables. You can try it here:

 https://github.com/mskorzhinskiy/org-ir

Another way would be to write your own clock table sorter. See this post on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/jp5ear/sorting_org_clocktables_by_category_instead_of/

And just for future references, in case Reddit someday will go down:

Code from /u/jp5ear: https://gist.github.com/blockynight/5eebe8323b68e02f436c0440320dc926 Org-mode manual: https://orgmode.org/manual/The-clock-table.html (see :formatter parameter)

Mikhail Skorzhinskii

Hi all,

here's the problem I'd like to solve. I clock various tasks, and then generate a clock table. So far, so good. But now I'd like to know
better where my time goes.  Most tasks I do have a few similar
components: discussion/research, writing code, testing, etc. I thought that I could create subheadlines under each of the tasks and give them tags like :discuss:, :code:, :test:, :debug: and so on. (Not very convenient, but doable, maybe with a bit of Elisp to automate the
process.)

Now, I'd like to prepare two clock tables: one where I see how much time every task took, and one where I can see how much time I spent coding, testing, debugging, emailing etc. I can see in the docs that there is the ~:match~ option, but if I understand it correctly, it can only restrict the table to /one/ tag, so I'd need to have as many tables as
I have tags - not optimal.

Any ideas?  Should I use something else than tags for that?

TIA,

--
---
Mikhail Skorzhinskii