Re: One vs many directories

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: One vs many directories
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 12:04:39 +0300

* Palak Mathur <palakmathur@gmail.com> [2020-11-21 09:13]:
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 6:34 PM Texas Cyberthal
> <texas.cyberthal@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Having a tall directory tree with many leaves and branches is against
> > Org's philosophy.
> >
> > Here is my argument that such a structure is objectively correct for
> > personal info management:
> >
> > https://github.com/cyberthal/10-Bins-template
> >
> > For the record, Org works fine with this, although I had to do a bit
> > of config to get around the default philosophy.
> >

> I read through the README but it seems overwhelming to have 10
> directories. I am not saying it is not good just that I will not be
> able to handle those. Even now when I have just three main files -
> inbox, work and archive, I am very bad at refiling items (I do it but
> rarely). I mostly rely on Agenda views to make things make sense for
> me. With 10 directories, I will surely never be able to refile
> anything as half of the time I will just be spending time in deciding
> where the item belongs.
>
> It surely will be good for more diligent people unlike me.

Thank you for nice description of your file system. In my opinion for
your use case the 10 Bins system looks very appropriate.

One point I wish to present, that is that WHERE the file is stored
need not be known to user. And when file is retrieved this also need
not be known  to user as user may search how Texas said by X methods.

Since Texas have presented 10 Bins now I am eagerly wanting to
organize all of the file system into structure that does not let me
think where the file really is located. My structure is so much more
complex but I do not think about it, computer is filing it for me. I
think of people, groups, lists and I find files by thinking, not by
looking into file system at least not so much. When I think of Texas I
write: Texas, I find 12 contacts related to Texas, then I write
"Emacs" or "Cyber" if I remember Cyber. From there on, I can see
hyperlinks to 10 Bins system, I can find emails of Texas Cyber and
find files and his Org file as well containing notes to Texas. But I
have no clear idea where that file is really located on the file
system. When finding the file I find it by X methods without knowing
where it is located on file system.

Basic structure any filing including emails could be following:

1. INBOX, items are coming here, if inbox is not empty something is
    wrong. Handled items should be filed appropriately. I file emails
    into maildir folders like ~/Maildir/person@example.com

2. PENDING, those are things that cannot be handled for some reason,
     and because they are not handled they cannot be yet filed.

3. OUTBOX, those are things that need to be filed or dispatched. For
     example fax that has to be printed should be there. PDF export of
     Org file can be there as it has to be placed on USB stick to be
     brought to printer. SMS notes to be yet sent to people or files
     to be sent to people could be there. OUTBOX can be also handled
     by other people, not necessarily the organizer of things.

10 Bins system expands that not so related and offers more structure.

There is need for org-of-org.org file that is meta Org file and that
could be created on-the-fly

Meta Org file by imagination named here org-of-org.org would be
created based on information of:

- filing the files and any types of hyperlinks like videos, movies,
  etc. including Org files. Upon filing such hyperlink has its
  structure stored somewhere.

- retrieving of the files, as some files are not filed but are
  retrieved or launched. Retrieving files could then be logged or
  accounted in the file system or database for later on-the-fly
  referencing from org-of-org.org file.

Then org-of-org.org file would be created on the fly:

- it would create hierarchy of all filed files that helps the user
  locate the file easy without even knowing where the file is on file
  system

- it would use the list of retrieved files to create the structured
  hierarchy of the retrieved files by its subjects, tags, groups

Then user can click and get the meta Org file created on the fly and
pinpoint where else to go with attention.