Re: One vs many directories

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: One vs many directories
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 23:48:23 +0100

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> So in general I never need to use some general search through Org
> files or any other files as my way of thinking begins with People or
> Groups and that narrows what has to be searched.

How do you deal with stuff that applies to several people?

> it comfortable. My way of thinking is always People or Groups, and
> from there various searches are performed and that narrows drastically
> the subject that has to be searched.

That does sound like it should speed up searching by directory. My mind
works differently here: I remember some concept and need to find stuff
connected to that, including people, but also additional ideas,
instructions, and just bullet points with info I might need again later
(which multiple times saved many hours of searching already).

The one thing that keeps me from that is that I often file under
specific projects, and the active projects are shifting constantly. For
that I enjoy it a lot that I only need to customize the capture
templates to add a project.

> On my side I almost never put notes in Org files. As by definition
> from Wordnet, note is "brief written record".

With note I just mean "something". Mostly its bullet points with tasks,
some links and references into source-code which allows me to quickly
take up a tasks after some downtime.

> Overall from this discussion I hope that people find some useful ways
> of using Org, like org-rifle, semantic organization of stuff and
> similar.

I hope so, too.

Thank you for describing the tools you use!

I for one am still working on my workflow, and I guess that 10 years
from now it won’t be the same as today. I hope that learning about other
ways to work with org will help me a lot in future.

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein