Re: Clock tables and two ways to categorize tasks

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Clock tables and two ways to categorize tasks
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 01:11:52 +0300

* Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> [2020-11-23 00:28]:
> Of course, in an ideal world we'd be paid for the results, not for the
> time.  But:
>
> 1. Welcome to the reality, this is not an ideal world.  I am being paid
> for my time.  (And sometimes we really do not have a better option.  How
> would you calculate a teacher's wage?)

Yes sure. In that time many valuable things take place. But time is
more or less fixed per week or per month and is never as accurate.

Do you track that time of work with Emacs?

> 2. Clocking in and out is the question of habit.  It does not really
> take up a significant portion of my attention, especially with Ivy and
> org-mru.  I've been doing it for years, and while I do sometimes forget
> about it, an occasional error does not make the whole data useless.

> 3. Knowing where my time goes is the first step in optimizing it.

OK so you observe when doing task A how long time you spend in task A,
so that after 100 tasks you can find out where you spent most of time.

The tasks I create are normally delegated to others on distance and I
could not possible see what they do and how, if they really work or
not so time tracking would be inaccurate statistics. By observation is
found where most time is spent for nothing (useless dwelling).