Re: [ANN] org-ql 0.5 released

From: Adam Porter
Subject: Re: [ANN] org-ql 0.5 released
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 02:15:53 -0600

Hi Jean Louis,

Thanks for your feedback.

>As the more complexities are created then even org-ql becomes complex
>to work with just as SQL becomes more and more complex with more
>relational tables and pieces of information.

The idea of Org QL is to make such things simple.  For example, you
don't need to know Elisp to run "M-x org-ql-search RET" and type this
query:

  todo: priority:A deadline:to=3

Which would display all to-do items with priority A due within the next
3 days.

> For org-ql I hope that your system can be used as underlying layer or
> low level language for functionality that may help user to think their
> stuff without thinking on underlying functionality. You have offered
> examples and those are in my opinion too abstract for Org users. They
> are fine for programmers or more skilled users.

The org-ql-search and org-ql-view UIs are built on the underlying org-ql
library.

> High level functions would be something like a wizard with code
> generation, that creates hyperlink for the user without user having to
> think about org-ql

> It could be something like `ql-meta' or `ql-summary' that is created
> on the fly and that collects information for agenda like view, and
> creates Org file with hyperlink that invokes the agenda like view.

This is already implemented.  Search views can be built incrementally
using the Transient UI.  See the screencast GIFs in the readme.

> Entries from the past week could be something on the fly. Additional
> hyperlink in the ql-summary could have the user to customize sorting
> without thinking of the underlying code.

See "M-x org-ql-view-recent-items RET".

> Find entries matching a certain CUSTOM_ID could be automatically
> generated heading:
>
> *** Entries by CUSTOM_ID
>
> ONE TWO THREE MORE HYPERLINKED AND SORTED CUSTOM_IDS
>
> when user clicks on any of those this would invoke the org-ql and show
> those entries. By click and by thinking, not necessarily by
> constructing the org-ql.
>
> Similar could be for deadlines.

This is already implemented.  See the sections "Links" and "Dynamic
Blocks" in the readme.

> Music could be sorted by author in the summary Org file that has many
> hyperlinks which in turn use the org-ql to activate music, or annotate
> it.

Those are interesting ideas for future work, thanks.

> Your file `examples.org' has some hyperlinks under the heading
> Contents and none of hyperlinks work. Why is it so?

I went to https://github.com/alphapapa/org-ql/blob/master/examples.org
and clicked the links in "Contents" and they work for me.

> In the end I could not test examples as it asks for org-ql-search that
> in turn asks for super-agenda that I do not have.
>
> I wonder how could I install the package that requires
> org-super-agenda and that it starts working. Maybe you missed one
> (require 'org-super-agenda) as when I wish to install it, it does not.

If you install org-ql from MELPA or with Quelpa, org-super-agenda will
be installed automatically.  The `require' function does not install
packages.

Thanks,
Adam