Re: Behavior of links

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: Behavior of links
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 01:08:12 -0500

Julian L writes:

> Hi!
>
> Following this github issue in org-roam
> <https://github.com/org-roam/org-roam/issues/1317>, I would like to ask
> about the behavior of links in org mode. More specifically, let's say I
> have this headline:
>
> * my heading
> :PROPERTIES:
> :GOAL: I want to be able to say [[file:something.org]]
> :END:
>
> :RELATED:
> [[file:language.org]]
> :END:
>

> According to the issue, links in the properties drawer aren't considered
> links by org mode (even though I can click on them and they work fine), but
> on the other hand links on a separate drawer like RELATED are considered
> links.

Right, according to Org syntax, file:something.org is not a link.  With
point on it, org-element-context returns

  (node-property
    (:key "GOAL" :value "I want to be able to say [[file:something.org]]" ...))

Compare that to file:language.org:

  (link (:type "file" :path "language.org"  ...))

Here are some links that might be helpful:

  https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-syntax.html
  https://orgmode.org/list/87d2i5pt39.fsf@gmail.com/
  https://orgmode.org/list/87bm1e56gx.fsf@nicolasgoaziou.fr/

> How stable is this behavior? Is it expected to change in the future?

As far as I know, it's been around since org-element.el was introduced
in core (2012), and I'm aware of no plans to change it.