Font lock in inner blocks [was: Re: Differentiate source blocks in expor

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Font lock in inner blocks [was: Re: Differentiate source blocks in export?]
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 14:24:33 +0100

On Wed, Nov 25 2020, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> On Wednesday, 25 Nov 2020 at 09:37, Joost Kremers wrote:
>> I like this solution for the "Org-ness" of the syntax, and yes, =C-c
>> '= works, but font lock is gone...
>
> Yes, font lock is gone unfortunately but I am not sure why that
> is.  Something for somebody who understands the syntax highlighting code
> to investigate?

I guess font lock is based on the outer block, which in this case doesn't
correspond to any major mode, so there is no font lock. Or at least no
major-mode-based font lock. Org markup such as for =code= *is* font locked.

One could argue that this isn't entirely consistent with the fact that
=org-edit-special= *does* recognise the inner code block. It certainly would be
nice if font lock did, as well.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments