Re: One vs many directories

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: One vs many directories
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 15:47:26 +0300

* Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> [2020-11-25 14:48]:
> > When I do C-c a it runs (org-agenda) but I do not have "g" and I am on
> > development version. The C-c a window is made so that I cannot go with
> > cursor inside and that I cannot even expect the key map neither invoke
> > command by M-x and I cannot even M-:
>
> C-c a will first show so-called agenda dispatcher asking you what kind
> of agenda view you want to get. You need to press a key according to
> the popup window (i.e. `t' to see all not done items). Then, you will
> get the proper agenda buffer with all the keymaps set and `g' bound to
> refreshing the chosen agenda view in the buffer.
>
> > All that is wrong and not aligned to Emacs common interface. It is bug
> > that bugs. Agenda buffer should allow users those standard Emacs
> > features.
>
> I am wondering what is the common Emacs interface you refer to. I am not
> aware about any standard way to prompt user while also showing detailed
> description of what to expect from different choices.

Sorry for that vague expression. Let us say I open Completions buffer
I can switch into it, inspect it, ask for defined keys, evaluate with
M-:, Emacs allows me to remain in the window and go to other
window. Agenda buffer does not do that, this is probably because it
just waits for any key and does not allow anything else. That means I
will open Agenda and I cannot switch to other window, so I will close
agenda to switch. Maybe I have 10 TODO keywords, I have to open file,
I open Agenda again, aha, T... then close agenda, open file see
keyword, then open agenda again. Repetitions without end and user is
unable to use multiple windows. This really need not be so.

If I open packages' list I can keep the buffer and move to other
buffer while looking into that list.

You know how agenda is made like the 1985 BASIC menu in Commodore
C=64, but even back then there was better interface for such menus.