Re: Is Org really so simple?

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: Is Org really so simple?
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 15:09:44 -0800

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

* Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> [2020-11-23 17:18]:
  :PROPERTIES:
  :CREATED:  [2020-11-23 Mon 18:42]
  :ID:       edebb3e7-e755-4ecc-a5e8-a3353a3f5fd0
  :END:
Dear Jean Louis,

Your description of the database reminds me how org-roam handles the files - it also uses an external database for linking and allows quick
incremental search that does not really depend on where the
files/headings are stored.

Sounds good, I can see there is graph database used.

However, what you are talking about is against org-mode philosophy,
as I know it.

Only philosophy I know is that it is plain text. Is there any official
philosophy? I have no idea, at least manual does not give me
references. I cannot find "philosophy", send me references.

It says "to keep simple things simple". But Org is far far from being simple any more. It offers good principles, paradigms and people built many enhancements upon those. Speedily it becomes way much more than
simple.

Nothing was mentioned about keeping Org-mode simple. You’ve made a bad misreading there. It said keeping *simple things* simple - in other words, avoid taking a simple thing and making it complicated. Things that really are complicated (“in real life”) may *sometimes* be simplified, and that might be good - but “Make everything be simple” is not a valid goal for any useful piece of software. Often, a complicated thing must stay complicated.

In my opinion, this kind of “simple vs complex” discussion is like discussing the quality of competitive sports teams. It’s simple at one level - which team has the best players? But in reality, there’s a lot more to it: Is there enough money? Do these players work well with this coach? etc. In other words, support and infrastructure. If you focus only on the simple part, it becomes like taking that good group of players and putting them on the moon by themselves. In reality, they can only be a good team when all of the complicated messy infrastructure is functioning, and without the infrastructure, they don’t function correctly.

Org-mode is a clever way of “leveraging” Emacs. Org-mode isn’t a self-contained application - instead, it’s more like a (large) Emacs plug-in.

Or maybe this:

Copying the design of a hydroelectric dam and generator, and building an exact duplicate in the middle of a desert, isn’t effective. The concept is simple (the turbine spins, it generates electricity) - but for it to work, you have to have the right thing to build it on top of. Rivers are harder to build than hydroelectric generators are. :) You don’t carry around a hydroelectric dam looking for a place to put it - you only start building after you’ve found a good river, and you build differently depending on the circumstances.

--
David