Re: One vs many directories

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: One vs many directories
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2020 12:49:54 +0300

* Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> [2020-11-25 14:48]:
> > When I do C-c a it runs (org-agenda) but I do not have "g" and I am on
> > development version. The C-c a window is made so that I cannot go with
> > cursor inside and that I cannot even expect the key map neither invoke
> > command by M-x and I cannot even M-:
>
> C-c a will first show so-called agenda dispatcher asking you what kind
> of agenda view you want to get. You need to press a key according to
> the popup window (i.e. `t' to see all not done items). Then, you will
> get the proper agenda buffer with all the keymaps set and `g' bound to
> refreshing the chosen agenda view in the buffer.
>
> > All that is wrong and not aligned to Emacs common interface. It is bug
> > that bugs. Agenda buffer should allow users those standard Emacs
> > features.
>
> I am wondering what is the common Emacs interface you refer to. I am not
> aware about any standard way to prompt user while also showing detailed
> description of what to expect from different choices.

It is maybe not standard, but I never expected in last 20 years to get
blocked when having some window as menu in front of me.

Please look how mu4e is showing menu and compare:

1. when I open mu4e the menu does not block me to divide screen in 2
  windows

2. org-agenda blocks me, it denies me using Emacs interface. This is
   personally disturbing and makes accessing Org agenda repetitive

Observe how C-x C-f tries to find file:

1. it opens minibuffer and does not disturb user to move from
   minibuffer to other buffer to find references. I often have file
   names in other buffers and I move to minibuffer to open specific
   file

2. org-agenda does not allow any movement

It is usability question. Personally I do not mind as I am
transitioning and using Org files not anymore for planning, rather for
documents.

Org agenda window shall simply get a focus and be displayed in
read-only Org mode with few key bindings invoking those commands. This
way both the minibuffer and other windows remain accessible.

I have tried to be nice when describing my experience with it. In very
kind way I can say that I do not find it usable.

Reference:
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/usability-101-introduction-to-usability/

For me it was not easy for reason that org-agenda offers 16 different
menues and that I cannot keep open org-agenda window and move to other
window for references. It requires me to write notes on paper to be
able to use org-agenda. When searching for things I often use other
window, I do copy and paste into minibuffer, read info files or other
buffers.

Consider this a bug, and it is already here on the mailing list.

Jean