Re: Bring up a screen giving option to open a series of orgmode files

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Bring up a screen giving option to open a series of orgmode files
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2020 09:54:36 +0300

* Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> [2020-12-10 03:02]:

> A side note: As Alan Schmitt pointed earlier, org-pdftools package
> allows creating links to specific pdf page or annotation on the page or
> to search string. It requires pdf-tools package as pdf viewer.

Thank you for the reference, it is useful in general.

Personally, the doc-view already offers easy access to pages which
allows for a function to capture Org. Thus there is no personal need
for that purpose to download extra package.

(doc-view-current-page)
(doc-view-goto-page PAGE)

Variable doc-view--current-search-matches contains query and page
number where match is found.

As you pointed it out as answer to xpdf capturing of references let me
give you good case use for xpdf versus Emacs.

We have educational business where clients need to be brought to
specific references quickly without reading all the book and without
opening pages and wasting time. I can tell to staff members to copy 2
configuration files (.xpdfrc and script) in their corresponding target
directories or to download them there, and run xpdf with specific key
as a function where people press a key and describe or annotate the
hyperlink.

That is much much easier than to tell people to open up Emacs, go
through Tutorial, use this or that M-x command or keybindings. Some of
them will be doing it so. Some will be doing straight from xpdf.