Re: Emacs inserts hardwired org-agenda-files variable, overwriting user

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Emacs inserts hardwired org-agenda-files variable, overwriting user options
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2020 05:35:16 +0300

* Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> [2020-12-11 17:24]:
> > ... there is no active
> > hacking on org-agenda and adding new features.
>
> You are welcome to submit patches.
>
> I have experimental code to use pretty-symbols in agenda and align tags
> even when frame size changes [1]. However, last time I proposed this on
> mailing list, there was no interest...
>
> [1] https://orgmode.org/list/87r1v71aw0.fsf@localhost/

By the way I have completely switched all action management to my
database system with tabulated list mode. No more using Org for action
management, only for document, not even short notes. Access to notes
by relevance search by using PostgreSQL full text search is so much
more logical personally. Computer performs search but as database is
more compact it does not search over all files. Things are easily
reordered rather then refiled. Key bindings for majority of actions
are way shorter as tabulated list mode is not editing mode.

- tasks can be assigned to one among 200,000+ people in the database,
  and I need not take care how their names are written and if I will
  lose a task because I made a type in writing their names. Person is
  rather selected and computer thinks what is their unique ID, not
  name.

- listing tasks assigned to specific person or group of people is
  quick and easy, related to person or group is quick or easy.

- daily list of pending tasks can be sent by email automatically, list
  of completed tasks can be sent. Task as such can be sent with one or
  two keys pressed without me thinking as all related objects are
  integrated (email address of assignee is already known).

- I need not keep one list of assignees in one file, other list in
  other file, etc. I can list all asignees straight with one key or
  see actions assigned to them.

- and I do not write subordinate tasks as TODO any more, that makes no
  sense. There is one senior section on what subject, project or
  objective has to be fullfiled and those subordinate tasks which are
  not marked with TODO repetitevely can be marked as redundant or
  superfluous, purposeless when senior objective have been
  completed. This means they are not done as there is no need to get
  something done if objective have been fullfiled. Org mode have
  imposed reverse on users where for example a list of items is only
  then completed as DONE when subordinate tasks have been completed as
  DONE, which makes users lie to themselves as they will then
  "complete" the task which is not complete because it is purposeless
  only to complete the senior task as DONE.

And I think it is possible for anybody regardless of programming skill
level to make one's own system of management of tasks within less than
a week that will get more aligned to personal individualized way of
handling tasks, then trying to accommodate personal needs to software
that may have gone one completly wrong direction.

Software is there to help the human, not human to help the software.