Re: Org Capture Menu cannot be fully viewed

From: TRS-80
Subject: Re: Org Capture Menu cannot be fully viewed
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2020 18:13:55 -0500

On 2020-12-12 17:46, pietru@caramail.com wrote:
From: "TRS-80" <lists.trs-80@isnotmyreal.name>

The problem also exists when making capture templates.  The solution
could be additional functionality coded in elisp that can then be used
for handling longer template entries.  As the problem is dependent on
screen size, the problem is likely to occur, requiring the patch.  It
then becomes natural that the fix is introduced without the template
developer having to call the fix explicitely.

All true!

I assume it would involve some elisp and would be willing to word towards
a solution.  But it would be even better that the solution would be
incorporated in the official version of emacs.

What gets into Org / Emacs is up to maintainer(s?) and pending list
discussion.  Which might take some time, but in many cases (I imagine
even including this one) is probably The Right Thing to do.

If you can wait for that, it will end up improving Org and likely
helping a lot of people, including yourself (eventually).

I guess some times I just prefer my own local "quick and dirty" solution
which can be "good enough" or a workaround pending a more proper
solution.  Although, to be fair, the ability to maintain such solutions
(long term) is sort of dependent on knowing a bit of Elisp.  So it's a
bit of a trade-off.

I can send a long capture template. And any additional information people
require.

Well, it's up to you.  If you want we can pursue either option, or both
(one potentially as a temporary workaround).  Or we can wait for more
list replies and see what others think.  As I said there may also be a
better way I am not aware of.  If I'm being honest, I have plenty other
things to work on, too.  ;)  But since I open my big mouth now, I can't
very well leave you hanging, now can I?  :D  It also depends on how
complicated stuff we are talking...

Actually, another option just occurred to me.  I don't know where you
are sending results of the capture template, but if you are just
appending to file(s) perhaps you could break the one big template up
into some number of smaller ones?

Cheers,
TRS-80