Re: Org Capture Menu cannot be fully viewed

From: pietru
Subject: Re: Org Capture Menu cannot be fully viewed
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 04:49:22 +0100

> Sent: Sunday, December 13, 2020 at 4:16 AM
> From: "TRS-80" <lists.trs-80@isnotmyreal.name>
> To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Org Capture Menu cannot be fully viewed
>
> On 2020-12-12 21:08, pietru@caramail.com wrote:
> > Here is one version of a template
> >
> > (setq capture-template-investigation-type '(
> >
> >  ("a" "Historic Background Research Site Evaluation/Testing" entry
> >   (file "~/histr/archaeol.org")
> >   "* Site_Type: %?\n %T\n")
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >  ("u" "Remote Sensing" entry
> >   (file "~/histr/archaeol.org")
> >   "* Site_Type: %?\n %T\n") ))
> >

> Are there any more to these templates you did not show?
>
> Because, (and unless I am missing something) what I see are essentially
> all the same (and quite simple).  You would end up with something like
> the following in your target file (with the cursor ending up at the x):

It was an example for long agenda option.  Wanted to send a basic one
without the details that could bother you.  The real one will have information
regarding Site_Type [Domestic, Funerary, Water-Related, Settlement].  But we
don't have the things in org though.

> #+begin_example
>
> * Site_Type: x
> [2020-12-12 Sat 21:58]
>
> #+end_example
>
> In fact I don't even see where the type name ends up in the result?
>
> If all my assumptions above are true, I think you would probably be
> better served with a simple completing-read (or similar) function to
> select the "Investigation Type" from a list and then simply insert that
> along with a timestamp.  Which it will take you longer to reply to this
> email and confirm than it would take me to write such a function.  :)

Yes, I know about
"  %^{Investigation Type: |Site Stabilization|Heritage Management|Environment
Research} %?\n"

At any rate, we come across long capture menus at one point or another.  The
list is not fixed
but can vary by project that we cannot always predict (i.e. it could be changed
in the field).

> Benefit of that way also removes possibility of typos in the type name.
>
> In fact, the above could even be done with something as simple as
> Yankpad[0].
>
> I have no idea what your workflow looks like, or where this data ends
> up.  However, thinking further, I would imagine it might even be helpful
> to set one or more Org properties[1] for things like "Investigation
> Type" (along with some other things I could speculate like "Location"
> etc.).  But all of that depends on even more things I don't know about.

Data can then be parsed into database once we get tho data files at home
base.

> If you care to share a slightly bigger picture view, particularly about
> the structure of the data you are trying to capture (and/or, your
> workflow) we could likely come up with something that would work much
> better for you than a capture template, at least in this particular
> case.

What sort of thing better than template capture?  My basic idea was to see
what org tools are available, see what kind of problems me get to, without
asking too much things specific to us.  We can then work through things
ourselves.  Perhaps share them with some other organisations.