Re: Org Capture Menu cannot be fully viewed

From: TEC
Subject: Re: Org Capture Menu cannot be fully viewed
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 04:32:53 +0800

Hi Jean, a few thoughts.

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> In other words program like Org capture is not meant for people having
> too many templates and that shall be explained right away both in
> function definitions and in the manual. Important people lose their
> time and effort in customizing org capture which was not meant to be
> used by people with too many templates.

Categorising your capture templates can help a lot with this I think.
See [1].

> Can interface be improved that people with larger number of templates
> become free to use it?

IMO just styling it nicer can make it easier to use. For instance, I
find symbols and colour help with at-a-glance use. Also see [1].

> My proposal is to quit using blocking interface where user cannot move
> from buffer to buffer, instead to open up new buffer with new key mode
> map that assigns those keys to those capture template functions. That
> way the buffer becomes unlimited, user can open it, it is familiar
> org-mode buffer and it can be unlimited.

This sounds like a good idea IMO 👍.

> Why not provide completing-read for Org capture templates? That would
> solve the problem fully.

Eh, personally I'm not convinced this is the way to go. I find
category use is sufficiant to keep a number of templates well-organised
and accesible.

All the best,

Timothy.

[1]: https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/fzuv4f/my_prettified_orgcapture/