Re: Org Capture Menu cannot be fully viewed

From: pietru
Subject: Re: Org Capture Menu cannot be fully viewed
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 22:02:43 +0100

> Sent: Sunday, December 13, 2020 at 9:37 PM
> From: "Jean Louis" <bugs@gnu.support>
> To: pietru@caramail.com
> Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Org Capture Menu cannot be fully viewed
>
> * pietru@caramail.com <pietru@caramail.com> [2020-12-13 21:28]:
> > > Why not provide completing-read for Org capture templates? That would
> > > solve the problem fully.
> >
> > I think it might work fine as you say.  Is that similar to what
> > "%^{prompt|default|completion2|completion3...}" does?  Or something similar?
> > I also know of icomplete.
>
> I suggest that you install package ivy that you see how it works. Then
> you could try find-file or open file function to see completions.
>
> You can try evaluating this here:
>
> (setq collection '("I think it might" "Is that similar" "Or something
> similar"))
>
> (completing-read "Choose: " collection)
>
> You may then use TAB or C-j to complete among various options.

Similar to what I thought.  Put things in a file, thun capture from there.
One would not need to write long entries to the org file, but simply go through
the possibilities, then insert in capture org file.

> ivy and helm packages (maybe) enhances that and allow you to type just
> "som" to reach to "Or something similar" or "think" to reach to "I
> think it might" and offers basic relevance search if you use few
> words.
>
> Standard completion may use joker symbol *
>
> Choose: *thingTAB
>
> would expand to "Or something similar"
>
> That is good way to go in Emacs if you have to chose among large
> number of items of anything.

Would that apply with respect to inserting long headings or descriptions
in org file?

Example:

;;                "Site_SubType:
;;                   [1a] Settlement > Encampment
;;                   [1a] Settlement > Hamlet or Village
;;                   [1a] Settlement > Town or City
;;                   [1b] Domestic Structure > Brush Structure
;;                   [1b] Domestic Structure > Cave
;;                   [1b] Domestic Structure > House
;;                   [1b] Domestic Structure > House Mound
;;                   [1b] Domestic Structure > Wattle & Daub (Jacal) Structure
;;                   [1b] Domestic Structure > Long House
;;                   [1b] Domestic Structure > Pit House / Earth Lodge
;;                   [1b] Domestic Structure > Room Block / Compound / Pueblo
;;                   [1b] Domestic Structure > Rock Shelter
;;                   [1b] Domestic Structure > Shade Structure / Ramada
;;                   [1b] Domestic Structure > Tent Ring / Tipi Ring
;;                   [1b] Domestic Structure > Platform Mound
;;                   [1b] Domestic Structure > Shell Mound
;;                   [1b] Domestic Structure > Wigwam / Wetu
;;                   [1b] Domestic Structure > Plank House"