Re: Release Org 9.4.2

From: Pankaj Jangid
Subject: Re: Release Org 9.4.2
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 20:49:45 +0530

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

>>> I've released Org 9.4.2, a bugfix release.
>>>
>>> This version was merged with the emacs-27 branch:
>>
>> This is the only code that goes into stable branch first and then into
>> ‘master’. Probably we need tweak the process a bit.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand your concern here.  What should be done
> differently?

Sorry for not being elaborate. Actually, I had posted serveral days ago
in another thread as well that probably we should consider emacs-master
for the active development of Org.

I like testing Emacs on the trunk and I ‘git pull’ and ‘make bootstrap’
daily and use it without any external packages. This is just to make
sure that any external package is not the cause for what appears to be
an Emacs bug.

I can certainly add latest Org by adding it to the package-archives. But
right now there is no point. I like to be on the bleeding edge. But I
also like to contribute at least by testing the next major release of
Emacs. And I am not sure whether the latest snapshot of Org from
https://orgmode.org/elpa will be part of next major release of Emacs,
whenever that happens.

Org will also benefit from the wider testing if the incremental changes
are part of everyone’s daily build of emacs-master.

In addition to master, we can release versions via GNU ELPA. That way
users won’t have to tweak their package-archives. Core packages should
not require making changes to package-archives.

I know you are overloaded with tasks at present. So I am not asking that
we do these things rightaway. But somewhere down the line Emacs and Org
development must converge.

Hope to see Org 9.4.2 in master soon. :-)