Re: A way to avoid unwanted new lines when using paragraph quotes?

From: Diego Zamboni
Subject: Re: A way to avoid unwanted new lines when using paragraph quotes?
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2020 16:52:58 +0100

Hi Kashyap,

The problem seems to be that when the HTML exporter finds more than one element within a list item, it wraps each one in its own set of =<p>...</p>= tags, which creates the additional space. You can see that this has nothing to do with the quotes, just inserting a second paragraph within the list item triggers this, e.g.:

------
3. Test 3
   - sub bullet under test 3, with a quote:

     another paragraph within the bullet
------

As Juan Manuel suggested, one way to fix the visual difference is with CSS. To be more selective, you could style only <p> items with a <li>, like this:

#+HTML_HEAD: <style>li p { margin: 0em; }</style>

In my test, this eliminates the spacing before those items, making them all look the same in the browser.

Looking at the ox-html code, there doesn't seem to be a way to prevent this from happening at the moment, a plain paragraph is always wrapped in <p> tags.

Hope this helps,
--Diego