Re: Org-capture template no longer recognised...

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: Org-capture template no longer recognised...
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 04:43:45 GMT

Neil Shephard writes:

> Until recently I could invoke org-capture, select e r and I'd be
> prompted to enter data under Route...
>
> | <2021-01-03 | <cursor here to start entry> | km | min + s | | |
>

> On saving this would populate the table and calculate the pace.  Now
> though I'm informed...
>
> Capture abort: Symbol's function definition is void: assert
[...]
> As I say I'd not changed my configuration which is the org-mode
> bundled with Emacs 27.1.  I do have

Hmm, so that's Org 9.3.  There aren't many plain assert's left in the
Org repo, just a few spots in contrib/ files (which aren't included in
Emacs):

  $ git grep '(assert\b' release_9.3
  release_9.3:contrib/lisp/org-attach-embedded-images.el:   (assert data)
  release_9.3:contrib/lisp/org-learn.el:  (assert (> n 0))
  release_9.3:contrib/lisp/org-learn.el:  (assert (and (>= quality 0) (<=
quality 5)))
  release_9.3:contrib/lisp/ox-freemind.el:    (assert (symbolp (car
parsed-xml))))

  $ git grep '(cl-assert\b' release_9.3 | wc
       37     191    3163

So...

> a few computers though and it was still working on a second system
> until I update installed packages,

...it does seem likely that the issue is outside of Org proper.  But
unfortunately I don't have any suggestions about where that might be, or
why it's getting triggered in the above scenario.  Hopefully others
will.