Re: Request to backport from Emacs 28

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: Request to backport from Emacs 28
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2021 05:19:24 GMT

Marco Wahl writes:

> Hello,
>
> The Emacs guys changed the signature of define-obsolete-function-alias.
>
> Eli Zaretskii:
>
>     The use of this (and a couple of other) functions without the WHEN
>     argument has been obsolete since Emacs 23.1.
>
>     The packages should adapt.
>
> AFAICS there is only usage of the obsolete usage in Org in
> org-refile.el.
>
> This is fixed already in Emacs 28. So I think that fix should be merged
> into the Org maint and master branches.
>
> Kyle! Are you the one who'll do that?

Yes.  Porting from Emacs's master to our maint branch has been on hold
leading up to the Emacs 27.2 release to avoid any syncs carrying those
commits into the emacs-27 branch [1].

  [1] A list of those commits is here:

https://git.kyleam.com/orgmode-backport-notes/tree/orgmode-backports.org#n62

The fix you're referring to on Emacs's master branch 5ada3eecec
(lisp/org/org-refile.el (org-copy): Fix missing obsoletion version,
2020-12-17) is in these held commits.  However, I wasn't yet aware of
the more recent commit associated with the message you quoted above:
32c6732d16 (lisp/emacs-lisp/byte-run.el (make-obsolete): Make `when`
mandatory, 2021-01-03).  That makes it important to apply 5ada3eecec to
Org's maint for compatibility with Emacs's master branch.

> In a further step I think the critical line should move to org-compat as
> all the other similar lines.

Indeed.  Ported (248dfcd71) and moved (33de2bd8e).

Thanks for the heads up.