bug#42484: 26.1: org-mode should display value of links in mini-buffer

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: bug#42484: 26.1: org-mode should display value of links in mini-buffer
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2021 14:18:52 -0700

this is an interesting discussion.  is there any side discussion that
takes into account both mouse and cursor?  i have had a devil of a
time trying to get:

1] displaying value of link in echo area [the problem you are
discussing -- don't let me derail it] with a short nonzero delay
2] doing so *for both cursor and mouse* -- too much futzing here
3] also doing other stuff -- also futzing

other stuff includes maybe [or maybe not] showing function signature
or docstrings in elisp buffers [possibly with longer delay], and
showing the time span in number of days from now to the org timestamp
at point or under mouse in any mode.

i have code for the last thing.  the problem is figuring out making
tooltips, eldoc, help-at-pt, or post-command-hook work with mouse and
keyboard without verbose help-echo like in dired.  also the
major/minor modes and

i guess i am saying [back to topic] this is a bit complex and i wonder
if a more orthogonal solution is called for?  as some might want mouse
activation also, and eldoc already shows elisp stuff.

and another suggestion: org-link-minor-mode is what i might use to
identify when to activate org links and timestamps.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

Please learn what misopathy is.
https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2013/10/why-some-diseases-are-wronged.html