Re: How can I keep Org-id links from breaking when moving files?

From: doltes
Subject: Re: How can I keep Org-id links from breaking when moving files?
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 13:32:56 -0500

arozbiz@gmail.com writes:

> This question is in the context of using Org-id UUIDs for linking between
> files. If I understand correctly, Org-id knows where to look for UUIDs
> (generated by org-id-get-create) by looking at the org-id-locations
> variable. But what if I move an .org file that I've generated a UUID into
> another folder? I know I can run org-id-update-id-locations, and there's an
> org-id-extra-files variable, but is there a way to list all the folders on
> the system where Org-id should look for UUIDs?
>
> Thanks,
> Alan

After reading the docstring of the function
=org-id-update-id-locations=, I found that the files which are scanned
are defined by 6 variables.

The following was retrieved from the docstring

#+begin_quote
This will scan all agenda files, all associated archives, and all
files currently mentioned in ‘org-id-locations’.
#+end_quote

This implies that when that function is executed, the files whose
content is searched for IDs (i.e. they are scanned) are

+ The files mentioned in =org-agenda-files=.
+ The archives associated to the files in =org-agenda-files=.
+ The files mentioned in =org-id-locations=.
+ The files provided as arguments to the =org-id-update-id-locations=.

The following are not mentioned in the documentation of
=org-id-update-id-locations=, but when looking at the source code, you
can see that the value of the following variables is used

+ =org-id-extra-files=
+ =org-id-files=

As we could see, the files which are scanned are defined by 6 variables.

Now, apparently, you want to get a list of the files which are
scanned. You can do that by executing what
=org-id-update-id-locations= executes in order to get the list of
files to scan. The following was retrieved from that function with
some modifications

#+begin_src elisp :results output
(let ((files (delete-dups
               (mapcar #'file-truename
                       (append
                        (org-agenda-files t org-id-search-archives)
                        (unless (symbolp org-id-extra-files)
                          org-id-extra-files)
                        org-id-files)))))
  (dolist (file files) (princ (format "%s\n" file))))
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
#+begin_example
/home/username/my/org/Statistics.org
/home/username/my/org/Programming languages/Elisp.org
/home/username/my/org/Programming languages/R.org
#+end_example

Hope that helps. Let me know if that answers your question.