Re: [Tip] Export a bibliography to HTML with bibLaTeX and make4ht

From: Gustavo Barros
Subject: Re: [Tip] Export a bibliography to HTML with bibLaTeX and make4ht
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 15:30:41 -0300

Hi Juan,

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 at 14:46, Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> wrote:

By the way... I have written some code to export the citations using
make4ht. It's just a proof of concept, and not too elegant I'm afraid.
But I wanted to explore a bit more the use of make4ht in this context.

Nice! I also think make4ht has potential for this purpose. tex4ht/make4ht is usually a somewhat delicate tool for a general LaTeX document (powerful, but complex), but the typical output of citation and bibliography is text with emphasis/bold etc, and perhaps a list, if we interpret the bibliography environment strictly. This is much simpler (again, typically) than an arbitrary document, to the point I believe it could be streamlined reliably for this subset of the document.

The idea is to write the citations in Org as mere bibLaTeX commands, but
between !!- ... -!! (a provisional regexp, for convenience, and to see
if it works). It can be tested in this Org file, which includes the code
(you have to give a value to the variables `bib' and `preamble'):

https://gitlab.com/-/snippets/2066135

I understand using the regexp to separate the problems, provisionally, as you said. If it evolves, you might wish to go with the current state of things in the wip-cite branch or, I reiterate the suggestion, look at latex-preview, which allows you to specify the commands of interest, if I recall correctly.

I hope you find your way trough the approach. If you do, please let me know. Or, if you wish to discuss a particular issue, feel free to write me directly.

Best regards,
Gustavo.