Re: org-attach-git don't automatically commit changes

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: org-attach-git don't automatically commit changes
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 11:33:57 +0800

Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:

> The default value of `org-attach-id-dir' is "data/", and if I evaluate
> `(expand-file-name org-attach-id-dir)' on my current node, it returns a
> wrong path to the attached folder. `org-attach-sync' only works for me
> if I set in `org-attach-git-commit' the variable like this:

Does it mean that your attachment folder is set in :DIR: property?

> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> ;; ...
>   (let* ((dir (expand-file-name org-attach-id-dir))
> ;; ...
> #+end_src

I suspect that it is a leftover from the major changes in org-attach
when :DIR: property was introduced. The org-attach-git presumes that all
the attachments in current file are stored in sub-directories located
inside org-attach-id-dir, which is no longer guaranteed. In fact, the
existing approach to treat all the attachments to all headings in
current file as files in a single git repo cannot be used. I can see two
possible fixes:
1. Treat each attachment dir as individual git repo (breaking change for
   those who are using :ID: property to build the attachment dirs)
2. Treat attachment dirs defined by :DIR: property individually and
   leave the :ID:-defined attachments as they were treated before
   (inconsistent).

I am in favour of the first approach since I do not like the idea of
keeping all the attachments in the whole file in a single git repo.
I think feedback from other is needed to decide what we need to do here.

P.S. Marking this as a bug.

Best,
Ihor