Re: Free up C-c SPC/org-table-blank-field?

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: Free up C-c SPC/org-table-blank-field?
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2021 01:16:29 -0500

Eric Abrahamsen writes:

> Hi all,
>
> The C-c SPC keybinding is pretty prime property (it's also, according to
> Emacs conventions, meant to be reserved for the user, though I know
> that's already out the window with Org),

Based on my reading of (info "(elisp)Key Binding Conventions"), I think
`C-c SPC` doesn't fall into the user's `C-c LETTER' territory but
instead into the this group:

  Sequences consisting of ‘C-c’ followed by any other ASCII
  punctuation or symbol character are allocated for minor modes.
  Using them in a major mode is not absolutely prohibited, but if you
  do that, the major mode binding may be shadowed from time to time
  by minor modes.

But, either way, I don't disagree with what you say next.

> and it's currently bound to `org-table-blank-field', which is useless
> unless you... happen to be in a table. I don't use tables often (or
> blank fields when I do), which means this binding is effectively just
> removed.
>
> What do people think about making it a no-op when not on a table
> (letting it fall through to the global map), or putting it in a keymap
> text property on tables, or otherwise not hogging the binding?

In my view, the first would be fine, and the second also unless someone
chimes in with a technical reason not to.  For the last, perhaps `C-c
C-SPC' would be an okay replacement, though I'd assume that would break
some users' muscle memory in a surprising and unpleasant way.