Re: OT: M-S-$ Not Working

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: OT: M-S-$ Not Working
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2021 17:28:52 +1100

> Hi Bo,
>
> I know your problem is resolved now, but in case you don't know, check
> also what `C-h c' does (and `C-h k' is also useful at times).  In
> general, spending 20 minutes on looking through what `C-h C-h' says
> might save you some trouble later;-).

This is good advice. I would add that if you find that Emacs does not
respond, even to say that the key is not bound or defined, it is
typically a sign that something in the environment e.g. window manager
or X (or Wayland) layer is not passing the key press through. These are
layers which are often overlooked and I've seen people spend hours
inside Emacs trying to work out what the issue is, only to later find it
is at a different layer (OS, windowing environment, window manager,
etc).

In general, standard Emacs key bindings are robust and reliable. If a
standard key binding like M-S $ doesn't work, first step is to try emacs
-Q. If that still does not work, odds are high it is an issue outside of
Emacs. Most common causes are WM shortcuts, modified input device
definitions (as seems to be the culprit here) and modified modmap
settings. Utilities like 'xev' can be useful here (not sure what wayland
has).

When I install a new system (regardless of platform, linux, mac,
windows), my first task is usually to remove or remap shortcuts. These
days, most environments use super, alt, meta and control based
shortcuts, many of which interfere with my Emacs. I rarely use super in
my Emacs key bindings, so often I remap useful WM shortcuts to use
super.
--
Tim Cross