Re: OT: M-S-$ Not Working

From: Maxim Nikulin
Subject: Re: OT: M-S-$ Not Working
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2021 23:14:35 +0700

On 06/02/2021 13:28, Tim Cross wrote:

In general, standard Emacs key bindings are robust and reliable. If a
standard key binding like M-S $ doesn't work, first step is to try emacs
-Q.

Sorry, but I do not agree that key bindings are robust in emacs. I use English and Russian keyboard layouts. Last years most of application could handle shortcuts independently of active layout (E.g. Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V works for copy-paste even if Russian layout is currently chosen.) In Emacs, only Control + Latin C works, Control + Cyrillic S (the same physical key) is undefined. Location of punctuation symbols depends on active layout, "$" is absent in Russian layout at all. It is extremely inconvenient to switch to US layout before any shortcut. Emacs uses its own input methods, but it means that desktop environment should treat emacs in a special way in respect to keyboard layouts. I have a kind of solution, I found its variants in blog posts. It is quite tricky, so I do not consider it as reliable and suitable for any user.