Re: org-no-popups nilling display-buffer-alist

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: org-no-popups nilling display-buffer-alist
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2021 23:42:01 -0500

\"Joshua O'Connor\" writes:

> Hi,
> I wanted to control the positioning of the *Org Select* buffer, so I
> first went to add a rule to 'display-buffer-alist'.
> But I found it didn't work, as the function in question calls
> 'org-switch-to-buffer-other-window', which in turn calls an odd macro
> 'org-no-popups', which appears to let-nil the 'display-buffer-alist'.
>
> I was wondering what the reason is for this? To me I expected this
> variable to be reserved for me as a user to choose where windows can go,
> which I think is a good plan given that you cannot possible know all the
> configurations a user may want the window to appear.

I agree that this should left to the user, and in 9.4 there was at least
some progress in making Org behave better in this department:
<https://orgmode.org/list/87eevw7jqk.fsf@gmail.com/>.

I've yet to do any extensive digging, but I suspect there wasn't a
strong reason for doing this.  I'd be in favor of a patch that drops the
use of display-buffer-alist.