Re: Using lexical-binding

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Using lexical-binding
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 23:33:47 -0500

> With a quick test of a few main commands, burps in one of four.

Excellent, and thanks for the subsequent patch (I don't think I'd have
come up with the move of `extra` on my own).

>> - I believe I have quashed all the compiler warnings (some had nothing
>>   to do with lexical scoping),
>
> Hmm, I wonder why I'm not seeing the ones unrelated to the lexical
> scoping change.

I don't think there were many of them.  As for why there were some:

1- the change away from `org-let` and friends causes some code to become
   visible to the compiler (it was hidden behind the "eval wall" until
   then).

2- I have some extra warnings in my local Emacs.

>>   except for a reference to the function `add-to-diary-list` which I
>>   can't find anywhere (is it some old function that has disappeared,
>>   maybe?).
>
> It looks like add-to-diary-list became an obsolete alias for
> diary-add-to-list in Emacs 23.1 and was removed in Emacs 25.1,
> specifically 3f65970414 (Remove calendar code obsolete since at least
> version 23.1, 2014-10-05).

Ah, thanks for tracking it down, so I guess we can drop this altogether.
And we can also drop the `condition-case` in `org-diary-default-entry`
because that change in calling convention is even older than the change
of name from `add-to-diary-list` to `diary-add-to-list`.

        Stefan