Re: org-capture-templates: %date is too long

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: org-capture-templates: %date is too long
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2021 07:37:22 +1100

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>    >>>>>> On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 15:22:21 +0100, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
> said:
>    Uwe> Sorry, you misunderstood me, this time string, inserts the time
> string,
>    Uwe> when I execute the capture, but I want to extract the time string,
> when
>    Uwe> the message was received. This is why I used
>    Uwe> %:date
>    Uwe> in my first attempt, that works but inserts
>    Uwe> Tue, 2 Mar 2021 19:35:03 +0100
>
>    Uwe> Which I find way too long.
>
>    Uwe> Just
>    Uwe> Tue, 2 Mar 2021
>
>    Uwe> Would be fine or 02.03.2021
>
>    Uwe> But not the hour, seconds etc
>
>    > It looks like the %:date handling respects the
>    > 'org-time-stamp-formats' variable, so if you can arrange for that to
>    > be let-bound appropriately during the capture process, it might do the
>    > right thing.
>
> Hm that variable is set to
>
> Its value is ("<%Y-%m-%d %a>" . "<%Y-%m-%d %a %H:%M>")
>
> So if I call with a prefix it inserts
> <2021-03-04 jue 21:19>
>
> But nothing like +0100
>
> I am not acquainted with let-bound (only with let)
>
> So are you saying I should may use defadvice to modify org-capture?

Capture templates allow inclusion of an arbitrary elisp expression with
%(EXP). You could try defining an elisp function which accepts %:date as
an argument (i.e. a string arg) and formats it using normal elisp date/time
functions and
returns the result as a string and then call that function within your
template?

--
Tim Cross