Re: org-capture-template: table lines including newline of sorts

From: Charles Millar
Subject: Re: org-capture-template: table lines including newline of sorts
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 07:17:59 -0400

On 3/16/21 3:34 AM, Uwe Brauer wrote:

    > On 3/15/21 5:00 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
    > My bad; I did not pay attention to a four line comment, so here it is
    > again, with the comment and final line for the template, etc.

    > (setq org-capture-template '(

    > . . . some capture templates

    >                 ("s" "timeslip" table-line
    >             (file "/mnt/Data/ActiveFiles/timeslips.org")
    >        ;;          (file "d:/ActiveFiles/timeslips.org")
    >                  "\| %(org-read-date)\| %^{FileName} %i\|
    >                  %^{Narrative} %i\| %^{Time} %i\| %^{Expense} %i"

    > ;; Note that there is no escape and pipe after the final content input
    >    expansion
    > ;; if there were a \| then an empty column is added
    > ;; (org-read-date) added 2013-07-12; see Sacha Chua's use of same as in
    > ;; the ledger templates below.
    >                  :empty-lines 1)

    > , , , some more capture templates

    > ))

I still obtain

| Bad template

Even copying your code without any modifications! I am running org
9.3.7

I'm running org 9.4.4 and emacs 28.0.50, (both from source) on Debian testing. According to my notes in my init file I created the template in early July 2011, modified it slightly two years later. I do not recall any problems with it.

Just to make sure that there is no problem with the timeslips template, at least on my system, I commented out all of the capture templates before and after the timeslips template and reloaded my init file. I ran org-capture (bound to C-cm). The timeslips came up in the dispatcher and it ran OK.

I notice that I was off by a key and typed periods and not semicolons in the two lines "some capture templates," and, "some more capture templates."

Charlie Millar