RE: Sharing variables between source blocks without session

From: Cook, Malcolm
Subject: RE: Sharing variables between source blocks without session
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 17:59:48 +0000

Eric S Fraga <mailto:e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

>> On Tuesday, 16 Mar 2021 at 09:56, Loris Bennett wrote:
>>> How can I avoid having to declare the variable 'user' for both blocks?
>>
>> I imagine you could use a property, as in
>>
>> #+property: header-args :var user=loris
>>
>> or even make it specific for the particular language.
>>
>> (untested)
>
>Thanks for point out using 'header-args;' as property. However, if I do
>the following, the variable is unset in the shell script:
>
>#+properties: header-args :var user=loris
>
>#+begin_src sh
>echo user: ${user}
>#+end_src
>
>#+RESULTS:
>: user:
>
>Is that supposed to work, or am I doing something wrong?

I am unfamiliar with using the plural form of property, as you are trying, at
buffer-level nor do I see  documented possible here:
https://orgmode.org/manual/Property-Syntax.html#Property-Syntax

try this:

#+property: header-args:sh :var user="loris"
#+begin_src sh
echo user: ${user}
#+end_src

Important: After adding or modifying the #+property line, you will need to
instruct org to "refresh your local setup" which I typically accomplish by
positioning the point on that line and typing C-c C-c