Re: Syntax Proposal: Multi-line Table Cells/Text Wrapping

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Syntax Proposal: Multi-line Table Cells/Text Wrapping
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2021 14:43:33 +0100

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 11:53:14AM +0100, Juan Manuel Macías wrote:
> tomas@tuxteam.de writes:
>
> > For export formats, there could be (yet another) "signal" to convey
> > "new paragraph here" which then is the exporter's job. Perhaps an
> > empty line (as is traditional in TeX) or something else.
>
> I think that signal would be a good solution within a single line. For
> example, for an emergency a simple macro would suffice, something as:
>
> #+MACRO: par @@latex:\par{}@@

Yes, something like that. My point was that it probably makes sense to
separate concerns here.

> Anyway, I suspect that Org tables are not originally intended for such a
> 'literary' content :-) ...

That's right. OTOH, people will try to stretch it in every conceivable
direction. That's in a way Org's biggest strength (and at the same time
its biggest weakness :)

> LaTeX tabular(x) environment and Org tables
> have in common that they are plain text, but that’s where the
> similarities end [...]

Rigth. (La)TeX is a typesetting language. Cool things can be done,
but they have a cost.

Cheers
 - t