Re: Invalid function: org-preserve-local-variables

From: Loris Bennett
Subject: Re: Invalid function: org-preserve-local-variables
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 08:04:19 +0100

Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

> Loris Bennett writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm running
>>
>>   Org mode version 9.4.4 (9.4.4-25-g3a522a-elpaplus @
>> /home/loris/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20210222/)
>>
>> and today I encountered the following error when refiling
>>
>>   org-refile: Invalid function: org-preserve-local-variables
>>
>> Despite the error, the refiling itself did however work.
>>
>> I am fairly sure that I have refiled without seeing this error message
>> since I last updated Org, thus I am somewhat surprised by it.
>
> org-preserve-local-variables is a macro defined in org-macs.el. That
> file is loaded by org.el, which is loaded by org-refile.el.  So, I think
> everything looks fine there.
>
> My guess---especially if you're running Emacs 26 or lower, which ships
> with an Org that didn't yet have org-preserve-local-variables---is that
> you have a mixed installation.  list-load-path-shadows might reveal the
> problem.
>
> https://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#mixed-install

Thanks for the information and the suggestions.

I am running 26.1.  The Org version is

  Org mode version 9.4.4 (9.4.4-25-g3a522a-elpaplus @
/home/loris/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20210222/)

list-load-path-shadows lots of lines like

  /home/loris/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20210222/ox-md hides
/home/loris/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20210222/ox-md

where elpa/org-plus-contrib hides elpa/org, and lots of lines like

  /home/loris/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20210222/ox-md hides
/usr/share/emacs/26.1/lisp/org/ox-md

where elpa/org-plus-contrib hides Org from the OS.

Having both org and org-plus-contrib installed from ELPA has always
bothered me a bit, but I seem to remember that certainly at some point
several years ago, there was an issue (to do with dependencies? or
use-package?) which meant I had some problems with org-plus-contrib on
its own.  Maybe that was wrong back then and maybe is still wrong now.

However, duckduckgoing a bit I find the following issue

  https://github.com/jwiegley/use-package/issues/597

from a few years back.  Maybe that's what I was hitting.  I'll change
make my set-up to just use org-plus-contrib and see whether I can
reproduce the org-preserve-local-variables error.

Cheers,

Loris