Re: org-adapt-indentation not honored prior to Org 9.4?

From: TRS-80
Subject: Re: org-adapt-indentation not honored prior to Org 9.4?
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 10:08:49 -0400

On 2021-03-22 15:37, Mike Kupfer wrote:
Over the weekend I upgraded my Emacs from 27.1 (Org 9.3) to 27.2-rc2
(Org 9.4).  I noticed that Org mode behaves differently, even with
"emacs -Q".

In 27.1, if I visit foo.org and type "* header RET", point is put in
the first column.  In 27.2, point is put in column 3.

AFAIK, I'm not using electric-indent-mode; at least it's not shown
in the minor mode list in the modeline.

org-adapt-indentation is t in both Emacs 27.1 and Emacs 27.2.  Was
there a bug fix that went into Org 9.4 such that
org-adapt-indentation is now honored?  Could the change in behavior
be documented in the ORG-NEWS file in Emacs?

I already asked about this on emacs-devel; Eli Z. sent me over here.

thanks,
mike

You are not alone, mate.  We discussed this not too long ago in the
following thread:

Turning off all indentation in 9.4.4
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2021-02/msg00045.html

In particular, the answer you seek may be in this post:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2021-02/msg00285.html

The TL; DR of which is to turn off ~electric-indent-local-mode~ in
org-mode:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (add-hook 'org-mode-hook (lambda () (electric-indent-local-mode -1)))
#+end_src

Of course, you could test live first in an Org buffer by pressing M-:
and eval:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (electric-indent-local-mode -1)
#+end_src

If that does what you expect, then set up the above mode hook in your
init file.

If your expectations are slightly different to mine, hopefully there
is something in that thread that might be helpful for you.

Cheers,
TRS-80