Re: About exporting

From: William Denton
Subject: Re: About exporting
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 16:15:18 -0400 (EDT)

On 29 March 2021, Ypo wrote:

How do you think I should spend some hundreds (or thousands) of hours to achieve maestry exporting my documents?

I think the key question is: Do you want to preserve them as web pages or page-based documents? If the web, then it's HTML; if documents, I'd use LaTeX. OpenDocument is a fine format, and if you have a lot of fairly simple documents, you could certainly use it, but it's not the best way to get articles and books print-ready yourself. And if you want to make beautiful documents with great typography, LaTeX is the best choice, and of course integrates very well with Org. (I've never tweaked the LaTeX output from Org by hand, but some projects I do fully in LaTeX because it's just easiest to have total control and edit with AucTeX).

To get better at it, I'd recommend reading the manual for the Memoir class [1] (the first few chapters that talk about page design, at least, then refer to the rest as needed) and Robert Bringhurst's THE ELEMENTS OF TYPOGRAPHIC STYLE [2] (which will give you ideas you can implement and right away your documents will look great).

Bill

[1] https://www.ctan.org/pkg/memoir
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elements_of_Typographic_Style
--
William Denton :: Toronto, Canada   ---   Listening to Art:
https://listeningtoart.org/