Re: Font lock in org+elisp confused with ?\[

From: Tom Gillespie
Subject: Re: Font lock in org+elisp confused with ?\[
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2021 15:59:41 -0700

Reposting my reply to the emacs-devel thread here as well. The hack I
mention that has performance issues was derived from John's solution
for the <> issue (though the performance issues are all of my own
creation). Best,
Tom

This is a known issue with org babel blocks. It is due to the fact
that org babel translates the font locking for the language but not
the syntax propertization. Another frequent cause is the bash case
statement. The end result is that unmatched parens leak out from the
babel blocks and wreak havoc elsewhere in the org file unless you
balance out the parens e.g. in a comment. I have a hacked fix for
this, but it has horrible performance, especially with line numbers
enabled. I think that a proper solution would run arbitrary syntax
propertization on subsets of a buffer without having to continually
check where those subsets start or end.