Re: On the protection of emails in the archives

From: Daniele Nicolodi
Subject: Re: On the protection of emails in the archives
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 21:12:10 +0200

On 08/04/2021 10:29, Guillaume MULLER wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently sent an email on this mailing list (see
> https://orgmode.org/list/b1e778c5-acbf-8a17-c9bf-dcb6693e9845@univ-st-etienne.fr/
>  )
>
> Since then, I'm receiving spams on the email address I used to send the
> message.
>
> After some research, it seems that this email address only appears on 2
> websites, notably this orgmode.org mailing list archive.

A Google search demonstrates otherwise.

> Would it be possible to configure the archive to obfuscate / hide the email
> addresses inorder to protect its users?

In this time and age, it is not an useful anti-spam measure. It is much
more likely that your email address is harvested from the address book
or the received emails of someone that has their email account
compromised because of a weak password (or, in this case, from any other
website that publishes it).

Cheers,
Dan