Re: Using backticks for the inline code delimeter?

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: Using backticks for the inline code delimeter?
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 11:27:07 +0200

Hello,

Maxim Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> writes:

> On 05/04/2021 06:06, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
>> Joost Kremers writes:
>>
>>> I tend to agree that allowing local modifications of Org's syntax is pretty
>>> much
>>> pointless, but then why is `org-emphasis-alist` a user option?
>> In practice, the faces, i.e., the values, are meant to be
>> customizable,
>> not the keys.
>
> It would be great to have more clear statement in the doc string. Even
> in the manual it could be stressed stronger.

Patch welcome!

> Unsure if the current phrase really forbids extension, I would rather
> tend to interpret it as invitation to customize the list: "To narrow
> down the list of available markup syntax, you can customize
> ~org-emphasis-alist~."

It depends. IMO, narrowing down the list means removing some markup from
fontification, i.e., setting a nil face. However, it shouldn't prevent
Org from interpreting such syntax. You can use zero-width space for
that.

> Maybe the code interpreting this variable could spit a warning on
> attempt to add new emphasizing characters.

As a first step, the type of the defcustom shouldn't be '(repeat ...),
but a fixed list.

Regards,
--
Nicolas Goaziou