Re: Concerns about community contributor support

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: Concerns about community contributor support
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 14:43:46 -0700

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

> I suspect the best model for moving forward is for new features and
> enhancements to be initially implemented as add on contribution packages
> rather than as extensions/enhancement to the core 'org-mode' package.
> Such packages, if found to be popular or useful to a large number of
> org-mode users could then be considered for inclusion as part of the
> main org-mode package. The nature of elisp makes this type of model very
> suitable as you can modify almost any aspect of org-mode via add on
> packages in a consistent and stable manner and avoid impacting the core
> functionality until the extension/enhancement has matured
> sufficiently.

What is the current status of having a BNF (or...?) parser for Org
files?  In particular, the parser rules that could then be adopted by
tools that use Org files on other systems (iPhone, Android, ...)?  Given
the availability of parser generators (bison...), this would be good for
breaking into smartphones where Emacs doesn't run.

--
David Masterson