Re: [Patch] to correctly sort the items with emphasis marks in a list

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [Patch] to correctly sort the items with emphasis marks in a list
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 22:37:31 +0200

Hello,

Maxim Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> writes:

> Surprisingly there are still cases when the old approach works better:
>
> (let ((s (org-sort-remove-invisible
> "A /wrapping [[https://orgmode.org/?a=b&c=d#e][link]] emphasis/")))
>   (set-text-properties 0 (length s) nil s)
>   s)
> "A wrapping [[https://orgmode.org?a=b&c=d#e][link]] emphasis/"
>
> I expect "A wrapping link emphasis".

Yet, your expectations are wrong. There is no link in the text above.
Emphasized text starts at "/wrapping" and ends before "/?".

Granted, this is a situation where the Org syntax is not very intuitive.
Anyway, the new function is more accurate.

Maybe we should require a space after punctuation following emphasized
text. I don't know. This is orthogonal to the current discussion.

> In the meanwhile I have tried
>
>     (benchmark-run 1 (org-sort-list t ?a))
>
> in a file (1100 lines) obtained using

I don't think performance is really an issue. Of course, the suggested
function is clearly slower than the current one.

Regards,
--
Nicolas Goaziou