Re: Concerns about community contributor support

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Concerns about community contributor support
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 05:35:25 +1000

"Bruce D'Arcus" <bdarcus@gmail.com> writes:

> I've been thinking about this general issue over the past year, as
> it's a common problem regardless of project, hosting platform, etc.
>
> I do agree in general that situations where submission of ideas and
> patches languish without attention are a problem.
>
> But while I don't think there are any easy answers, I do think clarity
> upfront can help.
>
> For example, perhaps there needs to be a prominent statement early on
> this page, which states upfront how the community vets new ideas or
> patches, what someone who submits such can expect, including in terms
> of timeline, and how to interpret lack of response?
>
> https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html

Yes, we can certainly help manage expectations, which I think is going
to be more effective. At the very least, it is a good place to start.
Perhaps it would be worthwhile if everyone interested in this issue have
a look at what is on worg about contributing and propose some additions/updates?

Responding to essentially just flag you have seen the patch message
really only adds noise and may even 'drown out' those responses which
add real 'value' to any discussion. I also doubt that asking people to
do this would actually result in any actual change of behaviour by
subscribers.

--
Tim Cross