Re: wip-cite status question and feedback

From: András Simonyi
Subject: Re: wip-cite status question and feedback
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 14:55:55 +0200

Dear All,

On Fri, 23 Apr 2021 at 13:49, Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:

> I went ahead and implemented `org-cite-wrap-citation' function in
> "oc.el" (from wip-cite-new branch). Here's a quick demo.

> (defun ngz-cite-demo-export-citation (citation &rest _)
>   (unless (org-cite-inside-footnote-p citation)
>     (org-cite-wrap-citation citation))
>   "(Doe, 1999)")
>
> (org-cite-register-processor 'demo
>   :export-citation #'ngz-cite-demo-export-citation)
>
> When I export the following document to ASCII

> #+cite_export: demo
>
> Regular footnote[fn:1].
>
> Reference outside footnote: [cite:@key]
>
> Footnote with a reference[fn:2].
>
> [fn:1] Definition 1
>
> [fn:2] Reference [cite:@key].
>
> I get

> Regular footnote[1].
>
> Reference outside footnote: [2]
>
> Footnote with a reference[3].

> Footnotes
> ─────────
>
> [1] Definition 1
>
> [2] (Doe, 1999)
>
> [3] Reference (Doe, 1999).

Thank you, this is very promising!  I've checked the behaviour of
citeproc-org with and without a note style now and there is only one
additional minor difference which I forgot to mention, I don't know
how difficult would it be to implement it: When a citation is wrapped
into an anonymous footnote because a note style is used then the space
between the citation and the previous token (if there was one) is
removed. So for the fragment (using cite links for now)
text1 cite:Smullyan-1995-Logic text2[fn::text3 cite:Sierpinski-1965-Card text4]
exporting to text with he Chicago author-date CSL style produces the output
text1 (Smullyan, 1995) text2[1]

Footnotes
─────────

[1] text3 (Sierpiński, 1965) text4
while with the Chicago fullnote style
text1[1] text2[2]

Footnotes
─────────

[1] Raymond M. Smullyan, /First-Order Logic/, 2nd, corrected ed. (Dover,
1995).

[2] text3 Wacław Sierpiński, /Cardinal and Ordinal Numbers/, 2nd,
revised ed. (PWN–Polish Scientific Publishers, 1965). text4

I think this is important for making it possible to switch between
note and non-note export styles without changing the Org document, and
would be very interested to hear  your and other list members' views
on this.

thanks & best regards,
András