Re: org-contacts.el use lexical-let not defined in cl-lib

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: org-contacts.el use lexical-let not defined in cl-lib
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2021 01:05:37 -0400

Michael Eliachevitch writes:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm not sure if this is the correct mailinglist for org-contrib
> bugs.

Thanks for the report.  Yes, this is the place [*].  stardiviner (+cc)
recently took over maintaining org-contacts.el.

> I found that org-contacts.el uses `lexical-let*` which is defined in
> `cl`, but it only requires `cl-lib` where it is not defined.
[...]
> My org version is release_9.4.5-321-ge641d3. However, I see that
> on the master branch still uses lexical-let*.
>
> Is this a bug or some error in my configuration? Should I send an
> email elsewhere or submit a bug-report? Because (require 'cl) is
> deprecated, test solution would be to replace the lexical-let*
> with something else like a normal let*, but I'm not confident
> enough in my lisp to do this by myself.

This is a bug in org-contacts.el.  Loading cl was dropped in ea238b78f
(contrib: move a few libraries to cl-lib in place of compile-time cl,
2015-11-06), and, as you note, it's still needed for lexical-let.

I haven't looked at the org-contact's lexical-let call sites closely,
but I think the way forward is to move org-contacts.el over to lexical
binding and stop using anything from cl.el.

stardiviner, what do you think?

[*] ... though sometime soon the plan is to move contrib/ packages
    elsewhere, at which point I guess it mostly will depend on who is
    taking care of a given contrib/ package.

    https://orgmode.org/list/87wnzfy60h.fsf@bzg.fr