Re: stability of toc links

From: Dominique Dumont
Subject: Re: stability of toc links
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 19:01:26 +0200

On Wednesday, 21 April 2021 18:24:27 CEST Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> In particular, I'm not sure to understand how one system can generate an
> ID based on the heading content and still limit itself to alphanumeric
> characters. For example, what ID are generated with the following
> document?

> * こんにちは
> * コンニチハ

For what it's worth, DNS servers faces a similar problem where host names can
contain any unicode character, but DNS servers support only ascii char. In DNS
cases, this is worked around using punycode. (1)

Using the example above, a host named "こんにちは.example" is converted to
"xn--28j2a3ar1p.example".

Punycode is available in Emacs through libidn (2)

HTH

(1) https://dnsquery.org/punycode
(2) https://www.gnu.org/software/libidn/