Re: org-store-link and help for a key

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: org-store-link and help for a key
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 16:25:30 +0200

Hi Maxim and Ihor,

>> Such behavior exists for ages, at least since 8.2.10 till current master.
>
> I can reproduce this.
>
> The reason of error is simple: help buffers for key combinations where
> not considered when writing help: link type.
> Current code does not even store the link to such help buffers correctly
> - when the key sequence has more than a single key only the first key
> will be stored (tested in <f1> k <f1> k help buffer).
> The code to open help: link type also does not know that help: link can
> point to anything other than function or variable.
>
> I can see two solutions:
>
> 1. Avoid storing links to help buffers describing key sequences. Show
>    error when trying to store such link instead

Even though storing links to help buffers describing key bindings is
tempting, there is no way to recreate such buffers only based on the
key string, because keys are contextual.

In org-mode, C-h k C-a will describe org-beginning-of-line while in
other modes it will probably describe beginning-of-line.

So we cannot really write a proper handler for these links and the
user error is correct here.

I'm closing this bug report now.