Re: [WDYT, mini] key h in agenda for quick help

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: [WDYT, mini] key h in agenda for quick help
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 16:08:54 +1000

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Timothy <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Great to hear! I think this would probably be developed as a branch like
>> wip-cite-new
>
> Yes.
>
>> , and it would need transient to be installed (via ELPA?) on
>> Emacs <28, but I think it has the potential to both:
>>  - Improve the user experience, and
>>  - Remove Org's own home-cooked transient-ish interfaces,
>>    so leave us with less code to watch over
>
> Yes, exactly.  Also there is plan to include Transient in Emacs core,
> so this makes this move even more appealing:
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-04/msg00944.html

I would also suggest that if we were going to have a 'help' key, rather
than describe mode, it might be better to link to the info manual (you
could just link to the agenda section of the manual).

I've rarely found describe mode to be terribly useful (there are
exceptions). However, I have used modes which have bound a help key to a
section in the info manual and I've found that much more useful. The
depth of information is usually better (what people looking for help
probably want) and once your in the info pages, moving to cross
references and other possibly relevant sections is very easy.

I also think adding transient mode would be beneficial in a number of
areas of org. In addition to reducing code maintenance, it would
increase consistency with other Emacs modes etc.

--
Tim Cross