Re: stability of toc links

From: TRS-80
Subject: Re: stability of toc links
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 21:48:34 -0400

On 2021-04-29 18:18, Samuel Wales wrote:
On 4/29/21, TRS-80 <lists.trs-80@isnotmyreal.name> wrote:

My "quick and dirty" solution was to make a function to map over each
heading and assign a custom ID based on the text of the heading.  It
only assigned one if one did not exist already (so in case you had
done any manual adjustments they would not be overwritten).

I had posted it very early in the thread, but it did not seem to gain
much interest.  It was not posted as a "long term and proper solution
to be included into Orgmode" but rather a quick and easy workaround in
the meantime.

thank you.  i can imagine that could be useful for a lot of users, but
for me, as i said in my op, "short of adding custom id
or id to everything" --- i didn't want to add custom id.  i will try
to clarify why in case it is useful.

Well, FWIW, I did not want to assign custom IDs, either.  :)  Like you,
I didn't want to "pollute" the properties drawer, etc.

However after looking into the options, including discussing this
issue on the mailing list myself some time ago, I realized that this
was going to be a major change in Orgmode, that it had been discussed
before (multiple times), and therefore would require (perhaps
significant) politicking, etc...

And so then I assigned custom IDs to all my entries, and got on about
my business.  I now have achieved stable links when exporting.  ;)

I still support your (and others') efforts toward a more proper and
long term solution, I just think they are going to take a while to
bear fruit is all.

Cheers,
TRS-80